Scouting in Fulwood first started nearly one year after the end of the first world war on 10th October 1919, with the creation of a Troop. It was 114th to open in Sheffield and as such was known as the 114th Fulwood Church Scout Troop. It’s not known why but it closed after three years in 1922.
Less than 12 months after the closure of the 114th Troop, Scouting started up again on 14th Feb 1923, with the number we have today, The 142nd. This group lasted until 1931 when it closed for a few years.
On 15 Jan 1934, the local curate known as ‘Skipper’ Allinson re opened the group again until his career meant the had to leave the parish 1937. Unfortunately it would appear that no one was able to continue his scouting work.
With World War II getting in the way of things, it wasn’t until the end of 1948 when a group of leaders got together to create a team to reopen the 142nd, and on 24th January 1949 the group was formally registered as The 142nd Sheffield (Fulwood) Scout Group and has remained open ever since.
Prior to acquiring its own premises the scouts and wolf cubs met in the adjacent Guildhall, then used as the Church Hall, which is now a private home.
The Group moved into the current building in 1968 and in the mid-1970s these were extended to a design by a scout leader (Andy Morphet) who was studying architecture at Sheffield University at the time. Much of the building work was carried out under the direction of Graham Baker, the then Executive chairman, who was able to use the project to help young people get a foothold on the employment ladder through the YOPS scheme.
During the period from 1975 through into the 1980s, the Group had 3 cub packs, 3 scout troops and a venture scout unit.
We would be delighted to receive information from anyone who has been associated with the group, either as a member or a leader. Please comment below